Photobucket

Finally, we have our Top 24! I must say, I really like the people that made it. It's a diverse group with many different characters. It is now time for the Top 24 to perform for America's votes. 5 guys and 5 girls will be voted through and 3 more contestants will be chosen as wildcards to round out a Top 13. Tonight, we start with the 12 guys. Who will become a contender? Who is the mystery contestant? And who will be given a second chance? This... Is American Idol!

Recap after the JUMP...

Reed Grimm

Photobucket

"Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 - When I heard that Reed was going to sing this, I knew he would have to change the arrangement to fit him. He changed it a lot more than I expected him to, it's a total jazz version, kinda on the cheesy side and not relevant to today's music. He plays the drums for the 3rd time. It's not the best we've seen from him and I'm kinda left disappointed. Not so sure this will win the public vote but the Judges will surely Wildcard him if he fails to do that. Rating: 5.5/10


Adam Brock

Photobucket

"Think" by Aretha Franklin - With the song choice, it is evident that Adam wants to free the large black woman trapped inside of him. Actually, never mind. It's clear now that Danny Gokey is trapped inside his body instead. What a twist... This rendition of the song is boring and cheesy. I don't care for it at all, I'm not feeling anything from it. I think his chances of getting through just went down. Rating: 3/10


DeAndre Brackensick

Photobucket

"Reasons" by Earth, Wind & Fire - He's smart to want to showcase his falsetto but it just isn't working here. He's really overdoing it, plus he's really weak and off-key. Ugh... more like "falshitto". He goes for an obnoxious high note, this is an official hotmess. At the end, he sings in full voice and nails it. What was he thinking? If he sang more of the song in full voice, I wouldn't have thought this was nearly as bad. Maybe he couldn't hear himself. How disappointing. The Judges love him though so he is a guaranteed Wildcard. Rating: 2.5/10


Colton Dixon

Photobucket

"Decode" by Paramore - Smart song choice. He did this song last year at Green Mile before he was cut. He sounds good with the piano, the chorus has some major pitch problems but he also sounds really nervous. He's working the crowd, he's nailing the big notes. Lastly, he starts dancing on the piano. He ends with a falsetto and one more big note. Well, he got the crowd hyped, that's always a plus. It wasn't a perfect performance but what Colton did show tonight is that he can be a relevant artist, unlike the 3 people that performed before him. He stood out. Hopefully, he makes it. Rating: 6/10


Jeremy Rosado

Photobucket

"Gravity" by Sara Bareilles - Odd song choice. He sounds decent, he connects with the songs he sings. This just isn't the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Wow, that big note was not good at all. His falsetto is kinda weak too. The Judges flove it to death. Jeremy could be a sleeper contestant, I wonder if he'll get a Wildcard slot. Rating: 5/10


Aaron Marcellus

Photobucket

"Never Can Say Goodbye" by The Jackson 5 - Well, Aaron is definitely dressed for the occasion. I don't like this song choice, the arrangement sounds cheesy. Aaron is a great singer, I just fail to see who he wants to be as an artist or how he is the next American Idol. I love his runs. That last note is really screechy. Ugh... The Judges give him a Standing Ovation. WTF? Really guys?? Rating: 5/10


Chase Likens

Photobucket

"Storm Warning" by Hunter Hayes - Good song choice, picking a song from a young and current Country artist was pretty smart. The problem is his vocals. They're just thin and nothing special. There's many pitch problems in this performance too. The big note was decent. My favorite part of this performance was that side-kick he did after trying to belt. Besides that, mega meh... Rating: 3/10


Creighton Fraker

Photobucket

"True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper - Interesting song choice but I really like it. Actually, this is probably my favorite performance by him. He shows a lot of restraint in this song. I like the arrangement and I think he showcases his voice well. The parts where he does oversing toward the end do have some pitch problems but I really like this performance, overall. Creighton was one of my early favorites but I don't think he'll make the cut. There's just too many good singers this year... Bah. Rating: 6/10


Phillip Phillips

Photobucket

"In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins - Phil takes on Phil. I love this song to death but ugh I HATE this arrangement. That saxophone makes it worse. Phillip just sounds gross in this to me, he even takes a page out of the Paul McDonald playbook and adds lyrics to the song. "Oh, yes I did. Ooh, yes I diiiid." he groans in a constipated tone. Aside from hating the arrangement, he actually sounds pretty okay. Then he starts trying to belt in the chorus, this isn't working at all to me. He sounds like Cookie Monster screaming. The Judges love it, he's totally a lock for the Top 13. Ugh... Rating: 3/10


Eben Franckewitz

Photobucket

"Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele - Ugh. Why is everyone out to ruin my favorite songs? Bad song choice. He can't sing this big and it doesn't really make sense. The part before the chorus is okay but once we get to the chorus... Wow, this is pretty bad. He's not even trying to really sing, he's basically trying to talk in key and he can't even accomplish that. The end note is pretty rough as well. They should have never lowered the age limit. -_- Rating: 2/10


Heejun Han

Photobucket

"Angels" by Robbie Williams - Another strange song choice. I don't really like it. Heejun has a real good tone, but with his diction and occasional pitch problems, he sadly just comes off as your average karaoke singer. Hopefully, he improves on those issues as we move along in the competition because I want to like his singing as much as I like him as a person. America still adores him, so he'll probably advance. Rating: 4.5/10


Joshua Ledet

Photobucket

"You Pulled Me Through" by Jennifer Hudson - This is amazing. Joshua takes it to church. He shows a lot of restraint and control, Lusky without the Stank, which makes his raspy tone absolutely fantastic. No over-singing here at all. The grind in that final glory note is AMAZEBALLS. This music is not my cup of tea but Joshua totally killed it. Performance of the night, and a very well deserved standing ovation from the entire room. Rating: 8.5/10


And the contestant the Producers and Judges decide to bring back is...

Jermaine Jones

Photobucket

"Dance With My Father" by Luther Vandross - I guess I'm happy they brought Jermaine back, aside from Richie, he was the least likely to mess up the natural course I wanted the game to take so yay. Onto the performance, I love his personality, the singing is alright. Nothing special but I liked it. He'll probably make it into the Top 13 just for being brought back and going last. Not so sure how he'll do after this week though. Rating: 5/10


Ranking:
  1. Joshua Ledet
  2. Colton Dixon
  3. Creighton Fraker
  4. Reed Grimm
  5. Jermaine Jones
  6. Aaron Marcellus
  7. Jeremy Rosado
  8. Heejun Han
  9. Adam Brock
  10. Phillip Phillips
  11. Chase Likens
  12. DeAndre Brackensick
  13. Eben Franckewitz

Results to be posted in the Girls performance post!
Share this :