Rehyn is one of the new faces of the music business. With an EP under her belt (2008 released "A Time to Fly"), she recently signed a licensing deal with MTV, E!, and Oxygen networks. A peaceful voice with some touches of pure piano magic, I'm confident she'll totally get to you!.

I contacted her some time ago and we made this beautiful interview. She's planning to release a full album later this year, so you'll surely see more of her when this happens!

Continue reading and watch some videos after the JUMP ...

 


*Does the name Rehyn means anything?
Rehyn (Ren) is a character from my favorite book by Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume. It kind of has a dual meaning also in that a wren bird is a songbird, so it is sort of fitting.
 
*How would you define yourself as and artist and as a person?
I just try to keep with the truth in words...I write what comes to me-- usually what I write is based on things in my real life. I believe in beauty. I believe in the power of words to move people.

*Have you always knew you'll be a singer?
I have been singing for as long as I can remember. I rocked it out to the Disney tunes from The Little Mermaid way back in the day; it was just something I did because I enjoyed it. I can’t say I ever thought I would be able to actually perform and share my music with others in the way I have been able to these past couple of years.

*How did you get started in this business? Do you know anyone related to it?
I didn't really know a whole lot of people in the business when I started around 2 years ago now. I had some friends, who had done the local scene for several years with some pretty good success, and they helped to give some guidance as to where to start and what not, but mostly getting started involved just getting a demo out there and passing it around to anyone who would listen.
 
*I know you released your first EP two years ago, Did you released it through a label?
No, My EP was released independently.

*How would you describe the EP concept?
The concept of "A Time to Fly" is bred from the feeling of spreading your wings and throwing yourself out there to try something new. It’s about the uncertainty of the future, the excitement of treading new waters, and the challenges you face along the way.

*How was all the recording experience? Did you enjoyed it?
I love recording. The recording for my EP was very quick with only a few days turn around time, but it was all very grand and exciting. It’s a chance to breathe life into this one-dimensional concept you've created in your head. Very cool indeed.

*Are you planning a full album now?
I have been working on songs in the studio for a full-length LP, hopefully out later this year. It should have a very different feel from the EP, I am trying my hand at different and textures to ramp things up a bit. I'm very excited to see where it goes.

*Who would you name as your idol?
Love, love, Freddy Mercury. Queen, Bohemian Rapshody, live, its pure showmanship. Great performer and great songwriter.

*Considering you are just starting, Where do you expect to be in 5 years time?
In 5 years, I would like to still be around, of course. I would love to be touring Europe and Asia.

*If you had to start all over again, Would you change anything?
Never look back. With each new project you tackle as a musician, you try to do it better than the last time, but I cannot say I would change anything I have done thus far. I have learned a lot along the way.

*What is the best piece of advice you have recived?
Just keep moving forward. As long as you can put one foot in front of the other, you can keep moving forward.

*Something interesting about you?
I can eat spicy food like it's nobody's business-- raw, fresh jalapenos are the world's greatest snack and Sriracha hot sauce (the "Rooster Sauce") goes on everything period. Its pure deliciousness.

* About one of your songs?
I guess I will talk about a song that I actually have out there and released-- Wonderful Way-- it’s a song I actually wrote several years ago. It’s about having that first very true love; a relationship I had for several years when I was very young that eventually dissipated- obviously. It's about the bitter sweetness of looking back at how good- and bad-- it all was and how I would not have changed it for the world, it was a "wonderful way to go down"... I think it is something most of us can relate to in one way or another.

*What is your favourite quote?
"It don't get any cheaper than free," - my dad.

Videos:



Share this :