Paige Cook from Fremont, MI was born on November 24, 1986. She is a graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Public Relations. Nearly a month ago, she answered some questions for me. We discussed her Online Idol won and how she could never pass the first auditons on the real Idol. You can check her YouTube channel HERE.

Continue reading to read the interview and watch some of her videos.








What style do you think you are?
I always struggle with answering this question because I don't really know, haha. I guess I'd call my style soulful/pop with some folk leanings.

When did you first started singing?
I like to believe I was born a singer; I've been singing for as long as I can remember. My mom and my grandmother would sing in church all the time and I remember wanting to be just like them so I started singing in school and church choirs and other children's choirs. When I was about 15 years old I started realizing that I could make a career out of music and that's when I started taking it more seriously. Once I got into college I took some voice lessons and joined the college chorus and learned so much more about singing, which only made my passion for it grow stronger.

How long have you been playing guitar?
I've been playing guitar for about 9 months, but I've been playing the cello for about 13 years.

Who pushed you to purse a carrear in singing?
No one pushed me to pursue a career in singing. My friends and family have always been very supportive and encouraging, but they've never pushed me. I think sometimes they think I'm kind of crazy for wanting a career in music because they know how hard its going to be, but they never try to tell me I can't do it. Its something that I've pushed myself to do and I feel very fortunate to have found something I feel so passionate about.

Who is your favourite artist of all time?/Your idol?
I can never pick just one because there are so many artists that are my favorites for different reasons. However, if it weren't for Kelly Clarkson I probably wouldn't be pursuing my music career as hard as I am. She's inspired me the most; having come from almost nothing and now becoming one of the biggest popstars in the world. She followed her dreams and never gave up and she's gone on to do so many amazing things. Her voice is phenominal, her stage prescence is amazing, and her personality is so down to earth. Regardless of everything that's happened to her she hasn't let it go to her head and she's still the same Kelly we all fell in love with while watching her on American Idol.

I saw you won Online Idol, have you considered applaying for the real one?
I have actually auditioned for American Idol 3 times, haha. I've never been able to get through the first round though; its really tough.

Have you ever been in a studio? Have you recorded an album/EP?/Any album plans?
I've never been in a real studio. It's always been a dream of mine to record in an actual recording studio. I'm currently competing in a Starving Artist of the Month contest and if I win I will get 5 hours of free studio time. If I win the studio time I will be recording an EP to release, entitled "Unplugged Heart."  <she ended up winning it, so she'll be going into the recording studio on June 19th. Good for her! Would love to hear what she records.>>

What is the best advice you have recived?
The best advice I have received is to not sacrifice who I am. There are so many times that the only way someone will work with you is if you mold yourself into who they want you to be. Music, for me, isn't about the fame and the fortune. Its about expressing myself in a way that will touch other people's lives and let me be myself completely. Another piece of advice that I've been given that has meant a lot to me is to not forget about the MUSIC. There's so much stuff (I can't even call it music because its not..) out on the radio now-a-days that really makes me wonder what's happening to real music. It seems like people are only in it for the money or the attention they'll receive if they conform to what's "in" right now. It's really sad and I hope someday I can help bring real music, music that means something and tells a story, back onto the airwaves.

Something interesting about you?
I don't know if this is interesting but when I tell people this they always think its surprising, weird, funny, or whatever. My entire life I've grown up on a farm and have always competed in showing livestock. From the time I was 4 years old I've shown dairy cows, chickens, horses and beef cattle. I've even competed at the state level and have won a few. My summers have always been full of going to the county fair. I'm a major country-farm girl. Most people automatically assume that this means I sing country music, and while I LOVE country music its not where my heart is. :)

What other hobbies do you have?
Well, besides showing farm animals, haha, I also play the cello. I've played since the 5th grade and its always been an instrument that I think it absolutely beautiful. The rich sound it makes is so soothing and I LOVE when I see someone on stage behind some huge act playing the cello. It gives me a sense of pride for some reason, haha. I also love to horseback ride, camp, and karaoke.

Videos

 



 

Paige asked me to post this, and I must say the song is pretty good! It is a contest for a record deal with MySpace Records! You can vote for her too.

Share this :