Photobucket










Belgium is the one country that is having a double edition of The Voice, The Voice Belgique (which Chan will cover for us) and The Voice van Vlaanderen, one in French, the other in Dutch. The coaches are Alex Callier, the man behind Hooverphonic, one of the most successful Belgian bands; Jasper Steverlinck, frontman of the Belgian rock group Arid; Koen Wauters, head of another successful Belgian group, Clouseau; and finally, Natalia Druyts, who was the runner up on the Belgian edition of Idol in 2003. The show is hosted by An Lemmens, a quite popular host known for Topmodel, Lost in Tokyo and So You Think You Can Dance. The blind auditions have already ended and tonight, we start with the battles! Who will be our finalists?

Videos after the JUMP ...



Photobucket


Sofie D’Hont vs. Dirk Cassiers
"Firework" (Katy Perry)
VIDEO

Let’s see where to start ... Firstly, I wouldn’t have chosen any of them, and secondly, I wouldn't have picked this song for them, cause they’ve just destroyed it! Sofie's voice is very masculine and she can maybe make this competition more interesting. Dirk sounds very generical to me and too similar to other singers out there. The problem is that I don’t think Sofie is doing well with it, so it's a hard decision. I’d give Sofie another chance because her voice sounds more different..
Winner:
Dirk Cassiers


Matthias Krüger vs. Wen Bellens
 "Broken Strings" (James Morrison & Nelly Furtado)
VIDEO

Matthias was chosen by three of the coaches, while Wen was just chosen by Koen. I think Matthias has a good style and he feels the music, but his voice is not very strong. None of them is impressing me. When they were singing together, her voice was the only one I heard. Wen has a stronger voice though her body expression is not as good as Matthias's, but I prefer her voice, so I’d chose her.

Winner:
Matthias Krüger


Stephanie Oclin vs. Rene Paul Harris
"Moves like Jagger" (Maroon 5 & Christina Aguilera)
VIDEO

Rene does NOT have the voice. He can’t even follow the rhythm (although his body seems to) Stephanie’s voice is nothing special either but I’d chose her, no doubts! This one was easy!

Winner:
Stephanie Oclin


Els De Martelaere vs. Wesley Meyendonck
"I don't want to talk about it" (Rod Stewart)

It’s quite difficult sometimes to choose just one of the guys in these battles, sometimes it's all very clear, but other times, like is happening right now, I’m having some doubts. The voices fit very well. Both of them have a great voice. But I would choose.. both of them! Oh, sorry! It’s not possible. So in that case Els is my choice, I like her voice colour!

Winner:
Els De Martelaere


Kizi van Elschot vs. Wim van Poucke
"Beast of Burden" (The Rolling Stones)

Good start for Wim, he has a voice I like, and the songs goes very well with it! Kizi has a more average voice, but she's also having some good moments. I wouldn’t have chosen this song but they both have done it well. Maybe they don’t shine as others do, but anyway, they sound well. But I would choose Wim, no doubts!!

Winner:
Wim Van Poucke


Eva Jacobs vs. Pistice Yoka Mpela
"Ain't nothing like the real thing" (Marvin Gaye)

Wow, I think this will be a difficult decission, because both of them have really a good voice. I like them so much, it's a pitty one of them has to say goodbye, while in other groups both of them would have been sent through easily. But these are the rules! So because I think it’s more difficult to find a good guy, I’d choose Pistice. But she was great too!!

Winner:
Pistice Yoka Mpela


Bert Voordeckers vs. Nathalie Hamelton
"The lady is a tramp" (Tony Benett & Lady Gaga
)
VIDEO

A big hit from two very different stars at the stage. After listening Bert in the blind auditions I think he could easily win this battle, he has a very good voice and style. For me, he's so much better than Nathalie. Her voice can be a little bit shrill sometimes. I see her voice more artificial, Bert’s one is more natural and sexy. So I choose Bert! Sorry Nathalie!

Winner:
Bert Voordeckers


Eley Van Hemelrijck vs Yannie Willems
"As" (Mary J. Blige and George Michael)
VIDEO

This one will be a difficult one. They both have a voice I like but I listen Yannie is having some problems at intonation sometimes and it’s a pity, because her voice has a great colour. Eley is doing much better than Yannie for me, he’s having less problems and his voice is clearer than hers. That’s why I chose him! (And he has the same hole between the teeth than Madonna, maybe that means something!)

Winner:
Eley Van Hemelrijck


Photobucket


Zusjes Vinken vs. Nick Beernaert
"I still haven't found what I'm looking for" (U2)

The girls sound so sweet and beautiful together, they make this song kinda magical. Both contestants were chosen by all coaches minus Koen. Nick has a very powerful voice and between other in these group, I'd have chosen him but the girls gave me a breath of fresh air, so I choose them!
Winner:
Zusjes Vinken


Mayken Hoessen vs. Ziggy Venneman
"Nine crimes" (Damien Rice)

They have great voices but sometimes I miss the emotional connection with the song, I miss their connection with their faces and their body. They both have nice emotive voices, I like both of them. If I had to pick one of their albums, I'd pick Mayken's cause her voice sounds much more unique, so she should be the one making it through.

Winner:
Mayken Hoessen


Maxine Eeckeloo vs. Thomas Cassiers
"While my guitar gentle weeps" (The Beatles)

Maxine seems to be a little nervous. She need to give it all, not just the voice. You have to show feelings with the voice but the face and the body are also important. Thomas seems to be more used to doing that. He has a good voice, but still he’s not a highlight. I'm having doubts. Maybe I’d choose him, but not being too sure about what I’m doing.

Winner:
Maxine Eeckeloo


Glenn Claes vs. Zinno Luxem
"If you let me stay" (Terence Trent D'Arby)

Not a good beginning for them. This is totally the opposite about what I meant before.. In this case we have two voices that don’t say me anything on the stage. I wouldn’t let any of them stay. They have energy, that's for sure but nothing special. Anyway, I have to chose one, and this one will be Glenn! (Yeah, his grandma made me take this decision)

Winner:
Glenn Claes


Wim Vandenberghe vs. Vincent Ceunem
"Don't dream is over" (Crowed House)

Great song for these boys! Wim is starting well, but still nothing special. He has some problems with his voice at the chorus but it’s not possible to be perfect. Vincent's voice is more interesting (his look too), but it seems he sings the chorus a little bit without air. So dunno, I wouldn’t have it so clear, because in the last part Wim is growing for me. So.. I give my vote to him, even when it wasn't nothing special!
Winner:
Wim Vandenberghe


Charlotte Buyl vs. Suzy Verwaest
"Toxic" (Britney Spears)

I’ve never thought this song would be useful for any The Voice battles! Just funny! Anyway, is not the best song to show your habilities with your voice, but let’s see how they both do it! Once listening to them, I totally agree with myself. Just in some parts I really prefer Charlotte. At the chorus both of them are a little bit messy and Suzy is even performing a little bit forced. So I choose Charlotte for the next phase!!

Winner:
Charlotte Buyl


Lize Colson vs. Natalie Schoonbaert
"Coming Around Again" (Carly Simon)

Lize wasn't convincing me at all until she reach the higher notes and suddenly I listen Natalie's voice, and wow. My doubts disappear right now! No words, for me one of the best tonight. It’s true that Lize has a very sweety voice, but Natalie’s is at the same time more continuous. Natalie for me!

Winner:
Lize Colson


Zippora De Brauwer vs Lien Vervoort
"It’s my life" (Gwen Stefani)

Both of them have a great look, as they also have a rock sound in their voices. Lien has a lower register than Zippora, but I see both of them very average. I’m having my doubts, because at time I would choose Zippora, but at others I would choose Lien. Both of them have the attitude too! So what to choose!! Lien maybe?

Winner:
Zippora De Brauwer


Photobucket


Claudia Guarraci vs. Thea van Damme
"Tainted Love" (Soft Cell)

Thea was chosen by Alex and Jasper, while Claudia was just chosen by Alex. They have good voices but they are sometimes very trembling, Thea has a curious style that may be worth to work on. Claudia has a pop style, more generical. None seems to be feeling the song. I'd pick Thea, she's a very, very rough diamond.

Winner:
Thea van Damme


Tanguy van Dooren vs. Kenny Belcastro
"Miss Sarajevo" (U2)
VIDEO

Tanguy is a good singer but his voice isn't any unique. Then suddenly Kenny starts, and despite not being my style, he sounds different, more classical driven, different anyway, with a powerful voice. So my vote is for Kenny, yeah, maybe he’s not the kind of winner they are looking for but I have listened many voices like Tanguy's.

Winner:
Tanguy van Dooren


Kimberly Ceulemans vs. Jodie Blommaert
"Why don't you do right" (Peggye Lee)

This is one of those cases where I think the song has choosen the winner. I mean, maybe with a different kind of song the result would have been different. They both have interesting voices but Jodie's fits the song better. Kimberly's is more sweet and could be more interesting for other styles (even having found herself in a hurry during the performance)

Winner:
Jodie Blommaert


Eveline Billiau vs. Dimitri Verhoeven
"Pack up!" (Eliza Doolittle)

Dunno what to think. He has a good voice, very powerful, but has something in his look that is telling me, don’t chose him, don’t ask me why. Her voice isn't so charming, just a good one, but has the perfect look. And then we’re back to the main question? What are we looking for? A voice? Then I should choose Dimitri. A musical product? Then I would choose Eveline. Easy!

Winner:
Eveline Billiau


Kris Ratiau vs. Willem Storms
"Wonderwall" (Oasis)

We have to be fair before sarting to give my opinion, I think the lower tone is always the most defavorable and this is what happened here. I think Willem has done a great job singing the song in this tone, while Kris, singing in a higher one had more possibilities to show his abilities, I’m not sure he's done this. So I give my vote for Willem, he deserves a second chance. Anyway, I’ve never liked this 80’s rock appearance, even less when you can’t sing like the real rockers.

Winner:
Willem Storms


Astrid Wittevrongel vs. Teresa Orlando
"Non non rien n'a changé" (Les Poppys)

I have it TOTALLY clear right since the start. I totally chose Astrid!! Her voice and style have nothing to do against Teresa’s. She has a very nice tone and a very smart presence, something that I miss a little bit in Teresa, who's more aggressive vocally.

Winner:
Astrid Wittevrongel


Marie Schoovaerts vs. Joke Vincke
"Just can't get enough" (Depeche mode)

 Once they both have sung the first part, I totally know who is the one for me! I’d choose Marie. Joke is performing ok and even if she seems to be more charismatic, while Marie is a little bit more static, Marie's her voice is sweeter. I’m not sure what Alex will chose, but the crowd seems to like more Joke.

Winner:
Joke Vincke


Iris van Straen vs. Stefaan de Winter
"Video Games" (Lana del Rey)

Again, low notes for both of them. They fit so much better with Iris, and I think she’s doing it really well, very intimate and with the adequate amount of feelings. Stefaan's voice is so low for me, I don’t like it so much. Although I recognize the song is the wrong choice for his voice. So my decision is made! Iris wins this battle.

Winner:
Iris van Straen


Photobucket


Silke Mastbooms vs. Willem Coppenolle en Bart Barends
"Devil in disguise" (Elvis Presley)

Natalia was the only coach picking them, so they are in equal condition. When the three sing together, this reminds me a little to Lady Antebellum, but well, they are far away from that. Silke has skills and sweetness, her voice combined with her look could be really good. Willem & Bart are interesting but not as much as Silke is. Male duets aren't really my style, so my vote goes to Silke.
Winner:
Silke Mastbooms


Sarah Mulowayi vs. Julia "Kristina" Hadian
"Survivor" (Destiny Child)

Both were picked on the Wildcard show. This Destiny Child song makes a real battle. I think Sarag has more charisma than Kristina since the start. Kristina didn't shine as much as Sarah when she was singing the lower part of the chorus. Sarah has more variety of movements and knows how to "be into" the song. Their voices are not that special for me but if I'd to choose, Sarah would be my option.
Winner:
Sarah Mulowayi


Claudia Decaluwé vs. Yvette Keijzers
"Dancing in the street" (David Bowie & Mick Jagger)

No doubts both of them have a lot of energy. Claudia has more strength in her voice but Yvette has this special thing. Both of them rock and are enjoying the stage, but since the first moment I listened them, I knew who I wanted to send to the next phase, and it's Yvette.

Winner:
Yvette Keijzers


Axelle Aerts vs. Kate Desot
"Telephone" (Lady Gaga & Beyoncé)

They both are doing ok ... Maybe Axelle is doing a little better than Kate, she has a more beautiful voice tone. Kate’s is more energic. Axelle was a contestant a few years ago at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest and she had'd a musical career in Belgium, she even participated in a TV show with Natalia ... so guess what? I think Natalia will chose her! I’d do the same!

Winner:
Axelle Aerts


Kris Struyven en Harry Hendrickx vs. Dimitri Jambé
"You're the voice" (John Farnham)

Dimitri has a very average tone but a good voice anyway. The two tenors have more powerful voices. It sounds like Il Divo singing a pop song. One of them is much better than the other, I really think I’d chose Dimitri, but I think the tenors give the show an original touch. So I’m not sure who Natalia will chose ... Me, Dimitri.

Winner:
Kris Struyven en Harry Hendrickx


Inge van Gaver vs. Nikita Wilms
"Sleepimg in my car" (Roxette)

Inge has a very rocky sound in her voice (even her outfit is very rocky too) but Nikita’s voice seems to be more versatile, and that’s good, because who knows what other styles they have to sing after this battles. So even when both of them are really ok (although they are not giving all the strength to the song than it deserves) I would chose Nikita.

Winner:
Inge van Gaver


Yaas Smaali vs. Karim Lequenne
"The message"

It seems that both of them have a very defined style. I prefer Yaas at this point. And talking about voices, well, Karim has something that sounds a little bit annoying to me, not bad at all, but he has something.Yaas's voice isn't special but I prefer him.

Winner:
Yaas Saalim


Ludovic Nyamabo vs. Karen Melis
"Easy lover" (Phil Collins & Philip Bailey

Would it be easier this time? It seems! I cannot even hear Karen’s voice while they’re singing together! She has a non shining voice, but yeah, she can sing. Ludovic uses all the registers of his voice, giving his performance more charisma, more personality and making me enjoy more the song! So I choose him!

Winner:
Ludovic Nyamabo

So after the Battles all the coaches have their teams almost chosen but they still need to make one more decission, and this all will be decided at the Sing-off's!!


The Sing-Off

Each coach has to choose now 5 acts from their group to go ahead to the live shows. Then they have still 3 groups that have to do the sing-off in order each coach will decide the one of them that advance with the 5 others to the live shows. Here they are!

Photobucket


Three contestans are still fighting to get a place at Natalia's 'Dream Team'. The first one on stage is Inge Van Gaver, with the same song she sang during the blind auditions. She's such and energic girl, I sometimes think she exceed the measure of this. I mean she could have done it so much better channeling her power. Yvette Keijzers was also very energic, but in a better way. She has a rocky voice, that fits very well with her Blind audition song, but can be very average at times. Dunno what to think. As of now, I'd chose her. Kris & Harry are up next and well, I don't think they will became a big hit, but I can't deny that they have a really good voice, the best of this Sing off, so I would choose between them and Yvette. I'm almost sure I'd take Yvette with me, but if Harry & Kris are chosen, won't be bad at all!

Winner:
Kris & Harry

Team Natalia:
TEAM VIDEO

Silke Mastbooms
Sarah Mulowayi
Axelle Arts
Yass Smaali
Ludovic Nyamabo
Kris Struyven en Harry Hendrickx

Photobucket


First on stage is Charlotte Buyl with her version of "Mercy" and it sounds well. She really has a good style and looks really sexy sometimes, things you have to have in mind if you wanna be a popstar. On the other hand, Lize Colson has a tenderness, sweetness, that I like a lot. She has a very nice style, maybe that's not so useful. I'm not so sure. Finally Zippora De Brauwer, is doing it quite ok, but her voice is the most average for me. So again, I'd be between 2 of them, Charlotte and Lize. Following my music taste I'd choose Lize, but I'm sure Charlotte would be more useful as a music product, the only problem is that she's not so notable between others. So i'd choose Lize.

Winner:
Charlotte Buyl

Team Jasper:
TEAM VIDEO

Zusjes Vinken
Mayken Hoessen
Maxine Eeckeloo
Glenn Claes
Wim Vandenberghe
Charlotte Buyl

Photobucket


Thea van Damme is the first on stage with her version of "Valerie". Vocally she's doing really good, but she has a lack of charisma. She'd have to learn how to captivate, get the attention of the crowd. That's her main problem. Now we have Joke Vincke, with a very sweet version of Kings of Leon's "Use Somebody". She's doing it really well, showing her feelings, being quite smart at the same time. I think she's the most versatile in here. And finally Astrid Wittevrongel is on stage. She has a really personal voice, but sometimes it seems she can't use it as it deserves. She seems to be frightened sometimes. She could have done it so much better. So with not as many doubts as with the other teams, I'd choose Joke. Alex has been in tears, It must be so difficult to have to send out two of his girls.
Winner:
Joke Vincke

Team Alex:
TEAM VIDEO

Tanguy Van Dooren
Jodie Blommaert
Eveline Billiau
Willem Storms
Iris Van Straten
Joke Vincke

Photobucket


Stephanie Oclin has a very beautiful soul-made voice, that I like from the beginning. I think she really has and deserves a chance. Anyway, she has to change a little her style, she need to believe more in her possibilities. Wim Van Poucke, as I've said, can sing but I think he's very average, so I wouldn't choose him at all. And in the last place we have Matthias Krüger on stage. He has a quite nice voice, but it seems he's getting asleep while he's singing. I notice he has a lack of emotions, he has to feel the song, because he has to show his feelings to the audience, and he's not doing it with me. So, if I'd to  my choice, Stephanie would be the one! And it seems Koen thinks the same!

Winner:
Stephanie Oclin

Team Koen:
TEAM VIDEO

Dirk Cassiers
Els De Martelaere
Pistice Yoka Mpela
Bert Voordeckers
Eley Van Hemelrijck
Stephanie Oclin
Share this :