Photobucket

UPDATE: Maryvette Lair is cut! Marina and Matthew are in the final!

Losing Sarah Manesse last week was a huge loss for the show. A three girl semi final would have been amazing but instead, we've got Matthew. He's not a bad singer but the girls outsang him. Tonight each contestant will sing three songs, two new ones plus their original audition song. Who will be going home tonight? ... It's time to face the music!

Comments, ratings, videos and translations after the JUMP ...



Round 1

Matthew Raymond-Barker

Photobucket

Like a Prayer (Madonna) - 8/10 -  Isn't this a wierd song choice Matthew? I think so but it gibes him the chance to dance, which is probably what he wanted here. That said, he's showing some really nice vocals in this performance but he wasn't supposed to be here! It should have been Sarah! There are millions of singers like Matthew but only a few like Sarah. Well, one thing I like about Matt is that he pulls a pretty entertaining show and not so bad vocals, so I guess this is the fun part of the show!

W: It was great! I love this song, I love your voice. The show starts well!
S: We have three singers, we have three different universes. Very good performance! Bravo!
P: Well done Matt! There is now a style "Matthew", I like it!  I am glad to see you at this level! Bravo!
D: Yeahhh! Thank you Henry! Bravo Matt! Darling You Did Great! It was perfect! I am proud of you!


Maryvette Lair

Photobucket

L'Accordéoniste (Edith Piaf) 9,5/10 -  Edith Piaf and Maryvette! Why didn't she do this before?! This is the perfect pick for her, though it's actually a bit old fashioned, and yes, boring. But her voice makes this beautiful. Her jazzy tone works amazing in this song and though I don't understand a single thing she was saying, I felt that! She was really into it and nailed that song! It will be criminal if she's not the winner!

S: Ok Miss! You make a nice duo, Chris and you! Your time  has comed! You can win this contest! I had a great time!
P: Maryvette, reassure me, this wasn't the song of the year you were born, wasn't it ? I'm joking! You've nailed it! There are few singers who can sing such a song! Bravo!
D: You sang and danced the java! It touched me! Great performance! It was beautiful!
W: You're amazing darling! It was perfect!


Marina D'Amico

Photobucket

Wonderwall (Oasis) - 9/10 -  This song is utter great! Definitely a fave of mine. And Marina is nailing it! The arrengment is really nice and allow her to show her unique voice! The slow start was great but in the second part is where Marina shined! The girl is showing some feeling here, I don't see what people want her to do when they call her cold. Is she supposed to start crying while singing and have a major meltdown? She'll be a great winner, cause I don't see anybody but her winning right now.

P: I understand why you have such a pretty voice! You're Sicilian! Sicilians love to sing! I loved it! thank you, it was great!
D: In 1994 I was 17 and you made me relive fond memories! Thank you. It was a beautiful performance!
W: Is there a song you cannot sing? Every time you sing, it's great! I like this kind of pop-rock song, it suits you well! Your voice is sweet and powerful! It was great!
S: You sang "Wonderwall" and it was wondeful! It was great! you are a mixture of finesse and power! Super performance!


Round 2

Matthew Raymond-Barker

Photobucket

Viva la Vida (Coldplay) - 8/10 - (Audition Song)  I love this song!!! When Coldplay performs it ... Matt singing this? Meh ... He's good enough for it but he looks copycat with this. Why are the dancers pretending to play the violin? Wouldn't it be better if they were actually playing it? Still, that performance was fun enough and I guess I could hear a full album of him cause his voice is really recordable.

W: I think you have progressed tremendously since your first audition. I'm glad you're still in the competition!
S: I agree with Chris! I'm proud of you! You really have a style! Very good performance!
P: You sang this song as a soul singer and it's your style! You are generous and the audience loves it! With you it's "Viva la vida" Matt!
D: When I heard you sing that song in the casting I fell in love and when I see you now singing with confidence and experience, I think it's great!


Maryvette Lair

Photobucket

Libertine (Mylène Farmer) 9/10 -   Ehh ... Don't ever do that again Maryvette! This is just wierd. I really like her when she goes crazy but I don't see the sense of going wierd just a week before the final. I mean, this is damn good but it will be really polarizing for the rest of the audience. And I see the majority of them not liking it. But I do, cause she shown me the inner wierdo!

S: Wow! This is dangerous for us! You gave a new direction to this song, it was very original, your universe is very special. I loved it! Bravo!
P: You do what you want with the songs, you impose your universe and you go from Piaf to Farmer with ease! We love you as you are! I loved it!
D: OMG! Wow! I envy you because with the boys around you, it was hot! Your rendition was  beautiful! You have given a new facet to this song! I lose my words! I loved it!
W: Of course it was great! It was huge! Olivier likes that side, a bit frivolous! Bravo!



Marina D'Amico

Photobucket

Amsterdam (Jacques Brel) - 10/10 -  This is nice? The song is really slow and I don't think it really suits her voice but she's trying to show her more emotional side. And I think she succeded. The song is really well sang, though I don't see the quirkiness here but she has done an amazing job with this! Wow! That was really emotional! And it was definitely the best of the night ....

P: It's a difficult song! You started with grace and you finished really powerful , that's what the song needed ! Bravo!
D: It's the first time you sing but not being aware of your voice! You left out the singer to focus on emotions and it touched me! You've focussed on the story! Yesssss!
W: It was outstanding! Sublime from A to Z! It was perfect!
S: I'm proud! Marina is too humble, she doesn't realize her talent, and she proved  at just 17 years old she could sing a powerful song with a fantastic mastery! I was blowed away!





Round 3

Matthew Raymond-Barker

Photobucket

Ne retiens pas tes larmes (Amel Bent) - 7,5/10 -  Matt is going all emotional and slow here, just like Marina did in the last performance. Not a bad idea to end with emotion but his voice in French doesn't sound as good as it does in English and I was somehow not feeling that. I actually found it very boring, it was all too flat.

W: I do not know who is the best! This performance was sublime! A real pleasure!
S: You have grown so much! Bravo! It was beautiful!
P: I think it's great  you have sung in French for your third performance. I am pleased! It was great! You moved me with a "piano-voice"! it's amazing! It will be difficult for the public to choose!
D: We worked a lot on this song with the vocal coach. She'll be very proud of you backstage because you've nailed the song! I wanted to cry, You touched me! Bravo! I love you!





Maryvette Lair

Photobucket

I Want You Back (The Jackson Five) - 10/10 - (Audition Song) This song is really good for Maryvette! She's showing her jazz self and who to make a song unique! The final result may be a bit wierd but that's who she is! And she's again feeling it! As in every performance of hers, she shows emotion and that it comes from the heart! I see a great carrer for her after this! No doubt about it!

S: You have a lot of grace, you have placed your style! This performance is a summary of what you are! : Finesse, grace and class! Bravo!
P: I liked each of your performances! I don't want to see you go! You have the X Factor!
D: I had a wonderful time! I have nothing to add! except Thank you!
W: You sing with grace, you have an  universe and it touch me! Bravo




Marina D'Amico

Photobucket

It's Oh So Quiet (Björk) - 10/10 - (Audition Song) I remember loving Marina's audition when I first saw it. She seemed the quirky crazy contestant and she's doing that here! And I'm loving this one too! The crazy shouts, the voice at it's quirky extreme, the chorus! It was all incredible! Definitely the performance of the night and her best of the season! I'm seeing myself playing this over and over again, yes, I loved it that much!

P: It was incredible! A magic moment!! I loved it!
D: I loved it! There is not much else to say!
W: It was the grand finale! No one can doubt you have your place in the final after such a performance! It was perfect!
S: You've nailed it! It was beautiful, current and fun. I'm super proud of you! I'm impressed!

Share this :