Photobucket

UPDATE: THE WINNER IS MATTHEW RAYMOND-BAKER!!!!! Marina D'Amico is the runner up. And let's thank Chansong once more, who provided the translations every week! See you next year girl!

This is finally it!! Last week, the jazzy quirky Maryvette Lair was cut coming at 3rd place leaving the youngsters to battle it out in the final show. The big voiced pop star Marina D'Amico vs the dancing acoustic guy Matthew Raymond-Baker! Who will be crowned the winner after tonight??! ... It's time to face the music!

Comments, ratings, videos and translations after the JUMP ...


Round 1

Matthew Raymond-Barker

Photobucket

Love the Way You Lie/Don't Stop the Music/Tik Tok (Eminem/Rihanna/Ke$ha) - 8,5/10 - Mmm .. This three songs mashed up? I can't see that working. I loved the way he performed the Eminem tune, very slow and sort of acoustic but the transition to Ke$ha was wierd and that wasn't a very good part. His voice wasn't good at all there but he got to dance a lot in this performance! He's really enjoying that! Haha. Last song and the transition is as wierd as in the first. It's like cutting from a song to another. Whoever arranged this should get a mash up class! That said, the performance was really enjoyable. - VIDEO

W: How are you Matt? You hear? (Audience applauds and screams) it says it all! You hear the ovation? You sing well, you dance well! Are you in top form tonight?
Matthew: Definitely! I must be in top form, it's the final!
S: You get off to a flying start! It was great! You are in top form and you are dangerous for us tonight!
P: Of course you're dangerous Matt! It's great to see you in the final and it's true, you desserve it . We feel your generosity, your will power. I am glad to see you in the final! Welcome Matt!
D: MG! You did it! If people knew how hard it is to sing and dance at the same time, to do such a performance! And you managed to do it from beginning to end! Wow! You set us on fire, bravo!

Duet 1

This is a bit wierd, isn't it? By the way, is it just me or Matt looks a bit sick? Well, this is pretty boring and lame. I don't get the song selection and it's not a great song either. Well, let's hope the next duet is much better than this one. That was no good.


Marina D'Amico

Photobucket

Crazy in Love/Crazy (Beyoncé Knowles/Gnarls Barkley) - 9/10 - This was one of my faves from her! Partly cause I love that songs and the mash up is really well done, and one everybody does! Her voice sounds amazing as always, the Beyonce part was great but I wanted her to go really crazy with the other! That's what that song is all about. She was a bit too perfect as they usually call her. Still, vocally, she's so much stronger than Matthew and would definitely make an amazing album, Matthew however has the performance skills.  - VIDEO

P: You've made progress. It was really good, you give power, you are generous and sexy and you're only 17 years! I loved it!
D: I agree with Henry about your evolution. It was a good performance, it was fun.  If I were Beyonce, I would say: Marina you're hot!
W: I agree! I loved it, you rocked the house! Frankly, I know the pressure of a final (Willems is the winner of Nouvelle Star 2006), you know Beyonce is present and to make such a performance, it's fantastic!
S: I could talk for hours about you! It's so easy to work with you, you understand quickly, you advance quickly and you have progressed well in terms of voice, it becomes increasingly fluid. We will have fun tonight!


Duet 2

What a great song for them to duet! This is one of my all time faves songs and is great for a female/male duet. Matthew's voice sounds lovely here but I think the songs is better for Marina's voice, after all, she's more an Alicia Key's singer than Matt. But that made a great duet! Even though perfect Marina mumbled the lyrics at a part! So I'd give my vote to Matt on this one ... Plus, he was enjoying this much more!


Round 2

Matthew Raymond-Barker

Photobucket

Vivre ou survivre (Daniel Balavoine) - 8,5/10 - I can hardly understand him! This song sounds a bit flat, the main problem is that he picks easy French songs which are mostly shitty and boring. That's why he's so much better in English. Still, this song kind of fits his dancy self. Plus he has some swagger here! He jumps on the judges table! Well, that was good, he's crazy! Haha!  - VIDEO

W: It's hard work to put  "Soul" in this difficult song . I'm surprised by the musical arrangement . You did a good job! bravo
S: Singing after Beyonce is  not easy eh? Listen, I had a nice time!
P: Matt, now, I recognize you, you have your style and if this song should be your single, we recognize the  Matt's imprint in this very difficult song by Balavoine.
D: Thank you Henry! It's a very nice compliment! Sure, it's a very difficult song to sing and you put your personal touch. Bravo, wonderful performance.


Marina D'Amico

Photobucket

Tombé du ciel (Jacques Higelin)- 9/10 - She's singing on a rotating tiny platform, there are several around the stage. I like her a bit more in French cause her voice sounds more unique and interesting than in English. And I think her coldness thing is because her face always looks the same. She's this crazy big eyes wide open all the time. I though love her little sharp shouts! And a perfect vocal performance is always nice! - VIDEO

P: You are graceful, funny and poetic! It's easy for you. I was touched! If  this should be your single, if you were to win, this song would  have the "Marina style". I loved!
D: I thought I recognized a little of the Björk's style you love. I liked this performance. This song suits you well!
W: I felt it was like Vanessa Paradis meets Björk. But we should not compare because Marina is Marina and it was great. Voila!
S: (public) you liked it? (Standing ovation). This is a good direction for a possible album, there was a universe which was a little enchanting. I agree with the other juges.You've nailed the song! Bravo! It was great


Round 3

Matthew Raymond-Barker

Photobucket

Man in the Mirror (Michael Jackson) - 7/10 -  This was definitely one of his best but I still liked "Time After Time" much more, it was more honest and pure. This one was a great one but I felt it was too gimmicky. He's sounding really good here overall though there are some atrocious notes in there. He missed the same note like three times. Oh! Padovani's face!! Priceless! It was like he was thinking, "WTF is happeing here?" Haha. Oh, he missed a note again?! What's happening Matthew? You're much better. Still, that was nice. Yeah, he knows he sucked, he's about to cry and telling the people not to clap for him. - VIDEO

W: I liked it! I know you aren't happy with you. You had a little vocal problem but you hold on! You're an artist, bravo!
S: This happens even to great artists! What matters most is the energy and atmosphere that is put in a song and you did a good job! You have made incredible progress! Congratulations Matt!
P: Don't worry, what we will remember  is your generosity and your ease. You have a wonderful stage presence. you were classy as usual. I am a true fan!
D: It's true that this problem happens even to great artists. You've proven you're a great artist because you don't let go! You're a champion. I love you a lot Matt.




Marina D'Amico

Photobucket

Calling You (Jevetta Steele) - 10/10 - Wow! This is really nice! Marina is joined by Olivier in the piano here and this is definitely one of the best performances of the night, if not the best. She sounds so good on this song! It's like a jazzy soulful singer has reincarnated in Marina's body. She's showing lots of emotion and the sultry vocals are lovely. Definitely the highlight of the night! And you then call her cold! In your face! Haha. - VIDEO

P: Marina, smile please! It was a beautiful performance! It's ideal for your wonderful voice. I had a great time. Thank you.
D: Super fine performance. I loved to live the competition  with you, I'm glad to have met you and I'll miss your jokes! *
Marina: I've a new one ...
D: You'll tell it to us later!
W: Marina, it  was sublime, there was a lot of emotion. I have nostalgia because I feel the end of this adventure. I am proud to see you and Matt in the final .
S: It was an honor to work with you. This is just the beginning of your story. I am proud to have crossed your path. (To the jugdes) we had fun together, I have a real respect and a complicity with you! Thank you friends!

* Editor’s note: Marina has a "humoristic sense of humor", she kills us every week with rotten jokes untranslatable and be happy with that, you avoid the worst  because even if I start to get used to, I'm struck with amazement at each new attempt. I give you the latest one  in French, those who can understand, I'm sorry!
-C'est quoi un squelette qui parle? des "os-parleurs"!


Beyonce Performance HERE

Bruno Mars and Top 2


Share this :