Florence + the Machine is the recording name of Florence Welch and a collaboration of other artists who provide backing music for her voice. Musically Florence and the Machine's sound is generally referred to as soul-inspired indie rock.

Florence was born 28 August 1986 in London. As a teenager she was the frontwoman for Toxic Cockroaches and Ashok. Feeling she was in "the wrong band" she got out of a contract with Ashok by resigning.

According to Welch "The name Florence and the Machine started off as a private joke that got out of hand. I made music with my friend, who we called Isabella Machine to which I was Florence Robot. When I was about an hour away from my first gig, I still didn't have a name, so I thought "Okay, I'll be Florence Robot is a Machine", before realizing that name was so long it'd drive me mad".  In 2006 Welch's performances in small London venues as "Florence Robot is a Machine" began to attract notice.





She released her debut album, Lungs, in the United Kingdom on 6 July, 2009. The album has peaked at the #1 position in the UK and the #13 position in Europe. As of 6 August the album had sold over 100,000 copies in the UK and by 10 August it had been at the #2 position for five straight weeks. The album was released physically in the U.S. on 20 October by Island Records.

Florence and the Machine is up for 2010 Brit Awards in the categories of British Female Solo Artist, British Breakthrough Act, and British Album. And I'm sure she will win one at least. She is exotic, Florence isn't  as the normal singers, she's in another level. Her uniqueness is so big that it can't be ranked. A truly precious gem.



Discography

Lungs

Videos

Music Videos






Live








Share this :